August 8, 2012

Off trail for a few days, maybe more

As some of you know and others have probably figured out from the photos I just posted (link on the right side of the page), I'm off the trail for a few days. Whatever I did to my shin was more serious than I wanted so I came home to see a doctor about it. The 60+ miles I hiked while it was sore probably had something to do with that. Nothing conclusive yet so it's either severe shin splints (really hoping this is it) or a stress fracture (can take 4-6 weeks before x-rays show conclusive). I'm still resting it and heeding the doctor's advice to "let pain be my guide." As long as I feel pain I'm not getting back on the trail. It's more frustrating that I thought possible but at least I'm able to do it at home. I'm hoping I can get back on the trail next weekend at the latest but only time will tell. I'd rather take 2 weeks now to rest it than be off the trail permanently because I pushed it too hard again.

In the meantime, Void and I have swapped places and he's hiking the trail. It's not such a bad thing for him to have some solo days anyway, I know I enjoyed mine. Hopefully we won't be tag-teaming the AT anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Bummer! Recovery first, Trail second!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are not having much luck in the injury avoidance aspect of hiking!

    ReplyDelete