June 25, 2012

Apparently Randy was telling his boat that as I crested the last class 4 near where they were eddied. Lucky for me he's quick with a throw bag and his aim is particularly good. The rope landed right ahead of me and I was able to grab it with one hand, run it over my shoulder, and grab on with the other hand.

Apparently, the force of a single person going through those rapids with 4800 cfs propelling them is enough to jerk a raft out of an eddy. As I was being pulled in, I felt a bump on the back of my head (my raft) and something grab my shoulders. Nick, the guide from my raft had caught me so I threw back the safety line and was hauled into the boat. One hell of an awesome experience!

After that, we spent another night in a log cabin at Northern and added 3 more to our group for a total of 17.

The next day we were ferried across the Kennebec with much lower and slower water by Steve who was celebrating his 55th birthday.

Cont'd on next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment